Breathing as we all know is crucial for life, for our bodily functions, and for survival. Although this is true, breathing is much more important and goes further than that.
Firstly, breathing can help reduce anxiety and tension if done the right way. For example, breathing quickly shallow can actually increase anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue and can lead to muscle tension and headaches among other things.
Slow breathing on the other hand will help your body and mind relax. All you need to do is practice 5 to 10 minutes daily to help reduce stress.
- Lie on the floor or sit up straight in a chair. Place one hand on your chest and the other on your lower stomach. Breath normally and try to notice what is happening. Most of us when we do this realize it is our chest that is raising and falling. Now that you have noticed, try to switch your breath so that it is your stomach that is rising and falling. This will allow oxygen flow to fully go through your body.
- Pay attention to your muscles. Try to relax your shoulders, legs, and joints. As you breathe in and out let the rest of your body fall loose.
- Inhale for 5 seconds and exhale for 5 seconds. Try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. This will also help increase oxygen flow.
The benefits of healthy breathing:
- Creates a glucose release meaning your energy increases
- Can help improve digestion
- Can lower blood pressure
- Increases your natural immunity
- Can help relieve pain
- Stimulates a detoxification process in your body.
So start to see breath as more than simply what you need to survive, but a tool for your mental well being. A small thing to start paying attention to that can have a powerful impact on your life.